Thursday, February 26, 2009

Running Balance Sheet

During a run a month or two ago (Kiawah Half or Hair of the Dog) I had the idea of creating a balance sheet for my running. After all, this is supposed to be an inexpensive sport, right?

My goal was to set aside $1.00 for each mile I ran, training or race. This "Income" would be used to balance the running "Expenses". Race fees, Greenville Track Club Membership and Running Gear (Clothes, Shoes, etc).

Pretty simple concept, if you want to race, you have to put in the leg work. Easy in theory, but how does it look so far.

January
Income was $5.00
Expense was $27.79
Net Profit/Loss was ($22.79)

February to Date
Income is $22.00
Expense was $42.79
Net Profit/Loss was ($20.79)

March Projections
Income $50.00
Expense $23.25
Net Profit/Loss $26.75

I'm maintaining the data in an Excel database, set up like a Checking Accounting. So far the Expenses, Actual and Projected, are higher than the Income. Fortunately I'm personally in control of the Income (training), so I hope to ocntinue raising my base mileage to catch up and exceed the Expense side.

Stay tuned for monthly updates.

No comments: