Tuesday, February 10, 2009

BSD10 - Upcoming Races

As you can see from the title, I have decided that as my daily blogging streak gets longer, my recognition of it should be shorter. If three weeks establishes a habit, I'm almost halfway there and more than a third done in my month of blogging. Just in case you somehow stumbled upon this blog and actually took the time to read it, the title reference is BSD10 = Blog Streak Day 10.

This past Saturday, I completed my 2nd race of the year. Kind of embarrassing that it has been the only two days I have run too. That's all about to change. After lots of contemplation (okay a little) and discussion (yes dear), I have my next two races on the calendar.

Both will be taking place in Birmingham, AL, an area that Gerri and I both love to run and the most likely location of our future move for Law School.

We'll be running the first annual Rumpshaker 5K on Saturday, March 28th, with one of our Alabama tailgating friends. Throughout the past season we would talk about running and apparently it rubbed off. In my mind I can imagine the conversation in her head, "Well if he can run a marathon, anyone can do it." Christie took our advice, went by Fleet Feet in Birmingham and signed up for their No Boundaries group. It will be exciting to be able to run with her on her first race, and in the inaugural Rumpshaker 5k. I just love that name and can't wait for the t-shirt.


The 2nd race is the Statue to Statue 15k on Saturday, April 18th. This race coincides with the Alabama Spring Football game, so we get to double our pleasure. It starts at Vulcan Park, a hilly park overlooking downtown Birmingham and winds it way up and down hills for 15K to the Lady Liberty Statue.



















"A bronze replica, one-fifth the size of the Statue of Liberty, was commissioned by Frank Park Samford as the symbol for the company he founded, Liberty National Life Insurance Company. Created by sculptors Archer and Lee Lawrie, the statue was cast in Sommerville Haut Marine, France, in 1956 and was placed atop Liberty National's home office building in downtown Birmingham and then moved to its present location and dedicated on July 4, 1989."

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

Now that is great. I am about to DIE to toe the line of an event.

Scott and I hiked at Paris Mountain State Park. I beleive we were able to get in a little over 13 miles. My legs loved it!!!