Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thunder, Rain, Hail and Tornadoes

It's a bit early in the year for severe weather in the southeast, but we sure got some today in Atlanta. The morning started out with rain, heavy at times. This is much needed as the southeast continues to be parched in this never ending drought. The rain started letting up and by the time I left the restaurant, the sun was coming out. The hotel was only a short distance away and my plan was to hit the TM for a 3 mile run before dinner and my night shop.

I really wanted to, but then I got sucked in. You see, I made the mistake of turning on the hotel TV and a local new station weatherman was talking about some severe storms heading towards Atlanta. I was hooked. There is something about severe weather that peaks my curiousity, and bad weather tends to follow me on the road no matter where I go.

The station did a tremendous job and their technology was incredible. Funny how the weathermen get more and more excited when storms appear to be ripe for tornado formation. I get the same way, but you have to temper that with the cost to proper and potentially lives. For hours I watched radar, heard about super cells and straight line winds, 2 to 3 inch hail and BTI, the Barton Tornado Index. The higher the number (1-10 scale) the larger the potential for tornadic activity.

The storms ripped through, one after another but luckily they stayed just north or south of my location near I-85 just north of I-285. (Pleasant Hill Rd) I know tornados touched down, and I'm sure tomorrow the news will report the number and damage amounts.

When the storms appeared to be mostly over, I grabbed some dinner at Sweet Tomatoes (yummy), then headed to Snellville for my night shop. During the Drive Thru shop, the heavens opened again and the rain pounded relentlessly for about 20 minutes. The sky flashed with brilliant lightning approximately every 15 seconds. It was a dazzling afternoon and evening.

Maybe I should add Tornado Storm Chaser to my bucket list.

No comments: