Monday, February 16, 2009

The Long, Slow Road Back

A little over two years (Dec 06) ago I started the Couch to 5K training program. It was truly square one. During this time there were days with lots of doubts. How could I run 10 minutes in a row, 15 minutes in a row, 25 minutes in a row? Slowly but surely the impossible became the possible. The runs got longer and easier and as my confidence and conditioning grew, my weight decreased.

According to my Buckeye training log, in January of 2006 I weighed 220 pounds, completed 16 runs, and average of 3 miles per run and an average pace of 13:28.

Progress was dramatic in Feb '07. My weight started at 215 and finished at 205. I had 10 runs, average distance had increased to 3.7 miles and my average pace had dropped to 12:02.

Move ahead one year. Feb '08. My weight was now between 197 and 205. I had 9 runs, average distance had doubled from a year earlier to 7.4 miles and my average pace had dropped to 9:53.

I can only imagine what the numbers would look like IF I had stayed the course. Instead of one step forward I have taken two steps back. Here is the ugly truth, in print for the whole world to see. Maybe this will be the smack in the head that I need.

Feb '09 My weight has ballooned, the Tanita scale screamed 222 pounds this morning. That's an ugly increase of 12-17 pounds since the marathon at the end of May. So far this month I have had 3 runs, and average of 3.7 miles and an average pace of 11:05.

The good news is that the three runs have come in the last 9 days, so I'm starting to get back on track. Although the runs are slow and painful, it is progress. And based upon the Feb '07 data, if I can increase the consistent frequency of my runs and also get back on track tracking my food, the weight should be able to come back off too.

So my warts have now been exposed, I have nothing left to hide. I'll continue to post my run info, my diet info and my continue battle to once again get my weight below the mendoza line.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Hang in there. Warm weather is coming and will help melt the pounds off with your runs.

I know the feeling as I am up a few from my pre-holiday weight as well. Just make sure you don't do too much too soon and get injured!