Friday, February 13, 2009

BSD13 - Friday the 13th

How many people woke up just cringing today, afraid of a date on a calendar? According to wikipedia, I'm sure plenty. Here is a small portion in the wiki...

According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of this day. Some people are so paralyzed by fear that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, taking flights or even getting out of bed. "It's been estimated that [US]$800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day". Despite this, representatives for both Delta and Continental Airlines say that their airlines don't suffer from any noticeable drop in travel on those Fridays.

Friday the 13th also conjures up images of Jason terrorizing scantily clad teenagers, many times after they have just had a romp in the woods. In fact, Jason continues to intrigue filmmakers, and who doesn't remember the terrific Freddie vs. Jason battle.

I love Friday the 13th. That's right, I said it and with good reason. Gerri and I had our first date on a Friday the 13th. Coffee at Books A Million on Laurens Road. I had just returned from a business trip to LA. We were supposed to see each other on Sunday night, as Gerri was in a Christmas Show at Church. And even though I was exhausted from returning on the red-eye, and heading to Greensboro that afternoon with friends to watch a Grrrowl hockey game, I couldn't wait. So we met for coffee, well Chai Tea to be exact, and the thus started the spark that would ignite our romance.

Tonight, on this Friday the 13th, we will have dinner at the new Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Greenville and celebrate Valentine's Day (early like we always do)and another Friday the 13th anniversary. I'm lucky, I get two more chances this year!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone. Gerri, I love you baby! Thanks for not being spooked.

No comments: