Monday, August 11, 2008

I Don't Like Mondays

Anyone remember the song by the Boomtown Rats? I actually don't mind Mondays, but after a tough run this morning the song popped into my head. My plan called for an easy 3 miles today, but it was anything but easy. I went over to the nearby Westchester subdivision, the temp and humidity were not unreasonable for 8:30AM, about 80 degrees/40% humidity.

I felt fine starting out, then my left knee started feeling "wonky." Wonky is a "medical term" that I learned from my wife to describe her ankle. It wasn't painful, just a slight discomfort. At about 1.25 miles, I started to feel some discomfort in my left shin, and then a short time later in my left exterior ankle. I pushed ahead, but at mile 2 decided to walk for a period to see if that would help. I started back up, running another 1/2 mile before deciding that it wasn't worth pushing it another 1/2 mile to reach today's goal. I walked the rest of the way back to the car.

I'm assuming the "pain" today is a result of running the 7.5 on Saturday. Even though it was at a very easy pace, it was still much longer than my body has run a month. I'll see how it feels tomorrow and give it an extra day of rest if needed.

I ran by and picked up a large Dunkin' Donuts coffee (decaf, one Splenda and skim milk). The woman in front of me got a medium with 5 Splendas! Like it sweet much sweetie? I did show good restraint passing on all other temptations, even though I wanted the eclair really bad.

After getting back home, I completed Week 1 Day 2 of the 100 Push up Challenge.

A quick note on Sunday. We had another amazing church service at NewSpring. Then went with Eric, Rob and Heather to lunch at the Liberty Tap Room. Unfortunately it was not as good as last week. We chilled a bit in the afternoon, and then drove the 2 hours to Columbia for the 3Day Film Festival. Over 30 students (middle and high school) had entered and only 3 got completed projects done. Chelsea was one of three and did a really terrific job with her first "public" film. I'll post a link one she posts it on youtube. As you can probably tell, I'm a very proud dad of an amazingly talented daughter. Heather was the actress in the film (along with a white rat) and she also did a really good job. Nice to see sisters getting along and working towards a common goal.


1 comment:

dadrunner said...

Hey CTBF, is that Bob Geldof? I just can't see him being anyone other than Pink.

I pass by Westchester everyday when I take my kids to preschool. Do you ever run around that cemetary? I looks like a great traffic-free place to run, but I don't know if some would consider that disrespectful. Hope the aches and pains feel better tomorrow.

Jay