Tuesday, November 18, 2008

3 Mile on TM in Jax

It's Tuesday night and I'm sitting in my room at the Comfort Suites in Jacksonville. In a few minutes, The Biggest Loser will come on, and after that it will be time for bed. Getting up at 5:00am each day means getting to bed early, something that I have not been very good at doing lately.

After getting back to the hotel this afternoon, I started thinking about my current training compared to my training at this time last year. I reviewed my training log on Buckeye Outdoors. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable and fit into my work schedule. I was consistently getting in 20+ mile weeks. That was the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Training Plan.

I pulled Hal Higdon up, looked at the plan and it felt like an old friend. Running 4 days a week works for me, but somehow I slipped into this once a week long run routine, kidding myself that it was working. It's not.

The more I looked, the more I knew that it was right. And it inspired me to get my running gear on and head downstairs to the treadmill. I had a nice run, starting at 11:00 pace and finishing about 9:00. It was a good start. I need to gradually add some shorter runs each week until my body gets used to the increased number of runs and mileage. Too much too fast equals injury and that does nobody any good.

Kiawah, Tybee and Shamrock.

Weekend postscript. Another great weekend in Bama, although a bit "cooler" than usual. Our Alabama Crimson Tide won another game, knocking off Mississippi State and moving to 11-0 while retaining the #1 ranking. The tailgate and game were cold, windy and rainy. It was even colder because our core temperatures had not fully recovered from the 12 mile run in the cold, wind and rain. Did I mention that we had a great time!

No comments: