Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Jacksonville Track Workout

The title might seem a little confusing. I'm not aware of some fancy new training program called the Jacksonville track workout. I'm in Jacksonville, FL for work and I did a track workout.

I drove to Jacksonville yesterday afternoon after having lunch with Gerri. It was a pleasant ride and gave me a chance to listen to some of my favorite podcasts. I got my three restaurant night visits in before getting to my hotel around 10:00pm.

Had a good visit today, then an early dinner (Greek Salad, Spaghetti and Bread). Came back to the hotel and relaxed for a few hours, allowing the heat of the day, the rain and lightning to subside. About 7:45pm I drove over to the Fleming Island High School track in Orange Park. I had the track all to myself while summer football workouts were going on nearby.

I started with a fast warm up mile, something under 10:00. I then began my first ever interval workout. I decided to do 800's because in the future I would really like to incorporate Yasso 800's into my routine.

After the mile I walked a 1/4 mile, then did an 1/2 mile in 3:58. Another 1/4 mile walk and then the 2nd 1/2 mile in 4:23. After another 1/4 mile walk I did my 3rd 800 in 4:17. I did another 1/4 mile walk/jog but then had to stop because the area was being closed and I did not want to risk being locked in or the only one around. I would have liked to do one more 800 followed by a mile cool down run.

Overall I was pleased with the workout considering it was my first track workout, the heat and humidity were a bit unpleasant and my early dinner was not sitting well on my stomach. Another run done on the marathon recovery as well as getting ready for the upcoming races on my schedule.

No comments: