Saturday, September 20, 2008

10 Miler & A HUGE Bama Win

Gerri and I slept in a little this morning. It was a late night, and the temps were going to be low with cloud cover and a strong breeze/wind. No reason to wake up early and ruin a good snooze. We eventually got up, geared up and went out. This would be our longest run since the marathon. We planned on three loops, mostly staying between 10th Ave and 25th Ave in North Myrtle, and avoiding the main drag, Ocean. Three loops meant we wouldn't have to carry or stash supplies.

The 1st loop was about 3.25 miles and was covered around a 10:45 pace. A bit faster than we intended, so we promised to slow down some for the next two loops. After a brief water and bathroom break, we headed back out, in reverse. Instead of staying on the same route, I varied it each time. Pace was slowed to around 11:00 or just slightly above. We finished the second loop at about 6.9 miles. Water, Accel Gel and off we went. Maintained the same pace, and after an emergency pit stop for Gerri, we finished off a nice run with a total pace of 10:54 for the 10 miles. I kicked in the last few tenths feeling good.

After showering, we settled down to each some pancakes and watch Bama CRUSH Arkansas 49-14. A nice win for our 1st SEC and road game. Aches and pains, nothing major but my left Achilles is a bit tender, knees a little balky and my right butt cheek is really sore. I think I need to blame that one on riding the roller coaster at Hard Rock Park yesterday.

Pretty well hydrated, so I decided it was time to crack open a Bud Light Lime as I watch Florida manhandle the TN Vols. Now if LSU can beat auburn tonight, the trifecta will be complete.

2 comments:

dadrunner said...

We must be on the same half training plan. Are you using Hal Higdon? I also had a 10 miler this weekend. Been a LONG time since I've run that far. Sounds like yours went well. I bet you didn't know what to do with nice wide sidewalks in North Myrtle, a little different than being target practice for these Easley drivers.

Gotta Run..... said...

very good on the 10 miler. Hope this week is going well for you.

Greenville Half is just around the corner.

BTW - thanks for the sweet email.

Keep moving forward!