Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Day Before Peachtree

It's Thursday morning, the day before our first Peachtree 10K Road Race. I thought running Cooper River Bridge with 30,000 - 40,000 people was crazy, but Peachtree has 55,000 runners. In Atlanta, on the 4th of July, in the heat and humidity. The race starts at 7:30 but we will probably not get across the start line for about an hour. Given the crowds and weather conditions, I've decided to just run this for fun along with Gerri. I would expect a finishing time around 1:10, well below my PR of 57:04.

We'll be driving down tonight and staying at the Marriott Courtyard - Buckhead, which is very close to the starting line. Post race we'll have to travel back to the hotel via Marta or a cab.

After a shower and lunch, Sweet Tomatoes maybe, we'll travel back to Greenville. Tomorrow night we continue our tradition of watching the Greenville Symphony and fireworks, only this time it will be in Simpsonville in Heritage Park instead of downtown behind the Peace Center on the Reedy River. I suppose it will be much less crowded, but I'm going to miss the intimate feeling that we had the past few years. At least the weather appears to be good.

Gerri is anxiously awaiting her LSAT score. It's possible that she may burst into a million pieces if she has to wait until Monday. If she does, I'll do my best to put her back together again.

I found out that the levee run in Chattanooga can actually be a 10 mile out and back if run all the way to Shallowford Rd. Include the 2 mile loop in the Park and this will make for a really good long run, if I carry fluids with me. I finally downloaded the data from my Garmin from the 6 mile run and was pleasantly surprised by the total negative splits.

Mile 1 - 11:01
Mile 2 - 10:39
Mile 3 - 10:18
Mile 4 - 10:12
Mile 5 - 9:52
Mile 6 - 9:17

Now that is how you run negative splits!

Went out for a nice 3.5 mile walk through Westchester last night with Gerri. It felt good to stretch the legs and also to have that one on one time with her with distractions. We used to walk regularly and I really miss it. Hoping that maybe we can do more walks when we aren't running.

After the walk we went to Bellacino's to grab some dinner and ran into one of our friends, Missy. We had not seen Missy in a long time and it was nice to be able to sit there and enjoy her company as we ate dinner.

Time to run some errands. Poor Shadow, our cat, has been out of treats all week and has been giving me the sad eye look each day. I need to rectify that situation and pick up some drain cleaner from Lowe's. I also need to trim the bushes outside before the sun gets too hot.

No comments: