Monday, March 15, 2010

Weight just wait!

My how time passes quickly when you aren't working. It seems like yesterday, not three weeks ago that I posted my last blog. Better three weeks than three months I suppose.

Things have been going surprisingly well. I believe that I have done a pretty effective job managing this stressful period of unemployment. I have been able to maintain a sense of calm, watch my diet and improve my fitness level.

This year I did not make any New Year's Resolutions. But in the back of my mind I knew that I wanted to, no I NEEDED to, get my weight moving in the proper direction. During 2007, I had been able to get down to 197, although I lost some focus during training for the Vermont Marathon ran the marathon about 210 (Memorial Day '08). I'm disgusted to report that when I stepped on the scale on January 1, 2010, it screamed 236. Not only do I not look good at that weight, but I also realize that is not healthy for a soon to be 50 year old guy.

So that morning, I made myself a promise to lose weight yet again. I actually thought about making a big deal out of it and letting everyone know for accountability purposes. Instead I kept it to myself, an inner challenge. My goal was 25 in 25. That would be to lose 25 pounds in 25 weeks. A sensible, reasonable goal that would bring me back down to my marathon weight.

While I have not dramatically altered my diet and still allow far to many poor choices, I am making progress. My weight tends to fluctuate day to day depending upon my fitness routine, but last week I saw one of my short term goals of 224. Next up will be 219.

I'm hoping that the weight will continue to come off now that I have increased my fitness routine. Funny how it took an unfavorable diagnosis of Exertional Compartment Syndrome to re-motivate me.

No comments: